God, Guns, Nazis & Fascists
The following opinion puts me into a VERY unpopular position among my Christian & Liberal friends and associates. I simply ask those reading this to do so with an open mind.
I am a progressive, liberal Christian who carries a gun. The 2nd amendment IS important to me because of how I've seen our country become what most of us have always believed could never have become.
The lessons learned from history are being ignored due to our absolute disbelief in what is happening. It is literally inconceivable to most of us that we could ever mirror pre-war Nazi Germany here in the USA.
Liberal groups are actively being vilified and painted as evil, demonic, cheating, God hating, baby butchering, lazy, Communist pedophiles who hate the police, hate America & are politically using immigration to stack the ballots and replace the white status quo.
This isn't just inflammatory rhetoric; These people actually believe this nonsense and are emotionally invested in fighting to purge our country of what their twisted interpretation of evil is, and to defend their interpretation of what they believe is "The Great American Way".
The tremendous conflict I feel can only be understood in light of Nazi Germany of 1938... I.e. "Kristallnacht". The current news has recently reported several instances where far right groups have been sent out or encouraged to commit violence against left leaning groups.
If Trump is convicted and his minions are sent to prison, there are millions of heavily armed Republicans who I believe will view this as unacceptable and a "Fort Sumpter" moment. I seriously believe that there will be many left leaning groups singled out for attack & possible slaughter (targeting LGBTQ, Women's Rights, Educators, Progressive Christians, Pro Choice, etc., etc...).
An important lesson our 21st century "Civilized World" needs to learn from the current Russia/Ukraine conflict is that it only takes one side to declare a war and that fascism WILL use force and violence to achieve their goals. It was fortunate indeed that Ukraine had prepared for this worst case scenario. Their response to the unprovoked violence against their country should be an inspiration to all who are faced with a one sided declaration of war against themselves.
Our countries current fascist movement is heavily armed with MILLIONS ready to engage (without exaggerating). If, on the other hand, Trump takes office one more time, a great "purge" of these supposed liberal varmints is, in my opinion inevitable.
I personally, will not go down without a fight.
The life (and death) of Dietrich Bonhoeffer is VERY meaningful to me and I too recommend the book "Preaching in Hitler's Shadow: Sermons of Resistance in the Third Reich"... Exactly how did Christians who were involved in the fight against Nazi Germany justify their use of lethal violence against their fellow human beings?!!
Until I am of the belief that Christ has returned and that we can now beat our "Swords into plowshares", I will feel a sacred responsibility to fight for what I believe is right and just.
It is therefore my opinion that left leaning, progressive individuals (including the Christian Left) start arming themselves and training for a very possible time of conflict.
P.S. As an unintended result of such arming of the left would be a much needed voice of reason from within the gun owning population of the U.S.A.

Comments
Post a Comment